Why do we eat? We eat for a myriad of reasons. We eat when we are happy, sad, bored or even due to peer pressure. Sometimes we eat when we aren’t even hungry. This is considered emotional eating and it will result in unwanted weight gain.
Here’s how to tell if your body really needs food.
- Your hunger grows gradually
- You will eat anything
- You can wait
- You stop when you feel full
- You feel good after eating
- You feel energized
- You are hungry all of sudden
- You typically crave foods that are high in fat
- You need to be satisfied instantly
- No amount of food fills you up
- You feel guilty after eating
I use these tips to determine if I am really hungry or its a passing craving.
Until recently I didn’t know it but I am an emotional eater. If I do not take the time to plan what I am going to eat during the day it will end in disaster. I will end up eating foods that are high in calories, fat and sugar. Which will only leave me craving something else to eat in no time.
However, Now I plan, plan and plan some more. I start everyday with breakfast. I eat a mid-morning snack, usually a banana. I pack a healthy balanced lunch to take with me to work, a salad, protein(leftovers from the previous nights dinner) and fruit. Then I have a mid-afternoon snack, a protein bar or a hand full of almonds or trail mix.
I have to admit that since making the changes I have not found myself craving the sugary sweet or crunchy salty snacks that were a regular part of my everyday eating habits.
Now, I will admit that I think about consuming cookies, mocha lattes and french croissants from time to time. However, I always stop and think what is this simple indulgence going to cost me in calories. Then I think about what I will have to do to work it off. By the time I process all of this information the craving has passed and I am better off for it.
- Emotional Eating- Why You Crave Certain Foods (graymatterinfluence.wordpress.com)
- Curbing Emotional Eating (lifefoneblog.com)
- Success & Sabotage: Emotional Eating (swtcatastrophe.wordpress.com)
- Tweets 2 hlp U stick 2 ur diet… (nolagirlatheart.wordpress.com)
- My favorite color is blue… and other great snacks (foodservicewarehouse.com)
- Snacking (onlygoodchoices.wordpress.com)