I am still traveling down the road of healthy eating. Therefore certain tweets and posts catch my attention quicker than others. Recently it was a tweet by Prevention Magazine.
- Avocado – Could be considered the over achiever of super foods. Not only is it full of proactive antioxidants and essential fatty acids that help hold moisture in and keep the skin from dehydrating it is also reported to be one of the foods that will help shrink unwanted belly fat. The article also recommends whipping up a face mask of avocado and sour cream and smearing it on your face for ten minutes. I guess if there were left-overs you could serve it with some pita chips.
- Tea – All teas boast skin boosting antioxidants. Green and white tea are known for protecting the skin from exposure to the sun and pollutants. All varieties of tea also double as hair color boosters. Now I don’t know a single woman who wouldn’t like to refresh her hi/lo lights in between visits to her favorite colorist.
- Almonds – This super food rivals the avocado. The Almond is a super snack that helps the body burn fat. It is also reported that eating almonds builds up hydrogen peroxide in the hair follicle keeping the hair from turning gray. Also finely ground almonds added to coconut oil make a great natural exfoliant. Almonds may turn out to be a girls new best friend.
- Cocoa – Another food product full of skin protecting antioxidants. According to the spa in Hershey Pennsylvania add 1/8 cup of cocoa and non fat milk to your bath water to help with dry skin. Now this sounds like a recipe for chocolate milk and trouble.
- Yogurt – Especially Greek Style Yogurt is full of protein which is the essential nutrient for the production of collagen a fibrous substance that keeps your skin looking young. Yogurt can also be used as a facial scrub or hair treatment.
- Strawberries – These tasty treats contain a double dose of Vitamin C which is essential to the production of collagen. A medical study reported that high intake of vitamin C was associated with lower likelihood of wrinkles and skin dryness. Again it is suggested that strawberries be added to an at home facial treatment.
- Coffee – Is a very popular pick me up. It is full of anti-oxidants that help prevent the breakdown of elastin and collagen that leads to sagging and wrinkles. You can also enjoy the flavor of coffee by adding finely ground coffee to your spice rub for your steaks or beef dishes. But the piece de resistance is the recommendation to use cooled coffee grounds as a scrub on areas that are affected by the appearance of cellulite. The caffeine in coffee is a topical diuretic and removes the moisture from the skin giving it a temporary smoother appearance.
After reading the article that inspired this post I have a vision of a woman standing in her bathroom in front of buffet of leftovers. She is concocting her facial creams and hair treatments in an effort to re-capture her youthful appearance.
*Note to self do not let the kids see you do this it could be misinterpreted as permission to have a food fight.
The best part about this list of 7 double duty foods is they are already part of my eating plan. The fact that they have the potential to double as part of a beauty regimen just makes them more appealing.
The twitter link also referenced a book by Joy Bauer “Food Cures-Look Younger Live Longer”. I believe that many of our current health concerns can and should be treated naturally. Fruits and Vegetables in their natural state are very healthy, it’s when we altar and add man-made chemically induced ingredients to the foods that they become “bad” for us.
A couple of years ago my husband and a few friends took a cultural tour into the mountains of Jamaica. Most of the residents of Jamaica can not afford modern medicine to control high blood pressure and the sort. They use foods and herbs to naturally control health issues. I have even had my doctor recommend different foods to help control some of my own personal health issues instead of writing me a prescription and sending me on my way.
- Coffee Body Scrub (gracegratitude.wordpress.com)
- Cellulite Be-Gone! DIY Tips for a smoother bum! (prettylikeapinup.com)
- 3 Old Wives’ Tales About Beauty That Are Total Bull (nolagirlsocial.wordpress.com)
- Wrinkle Fighting Foods (lookingyoungerblog.wordpress.com)