I am looking back at Post a Day Challenge 2011 as the end of 2011 is fast approaching. Many of us are taking stock of the past years accomplishments and challenges. I have been thinking about my January 2011 commitment to the post a week challenge. Then the good folks over at The Daily Post offered up a post to help evaluate 2011 blogging and 2012 goals.
Here are the 11 Questions from the Daily Post to help break things down to bite size pieces. I turned it into my first meme. It took me all year to figure that one out. Oh well, better late than not at all…Right? Right!
- Why did you start the Post a Day/Week Challenge?
I began the Post a Week Challenge strictly as a way to stay focused on blogging. I had been blogging for just less than a year and I wasn’t very consistent.
- Describe the state of your blog at the time you started the challenge.
In December of 2010 I was averaging 3 posts per week, 21 daily views, 9 total comments for the entire month, half of which were from my family.
- How did your blog evolve over the course of the challenge?
I can honestly say that my blog blossomed through the Post a Week Challenge. I quickly met other bloggers who were committed to supporting bloggers involved in the challenge. Their comments were supportive and encouraging! My blog has quadrupled in followers and views.
- Did you post as often as you had hoped? Why or why not?
I signed up for the Post a Week Challenge but found myself posting on an average of 5 days per week. There was an incredible amount of encouraging and creative ideas being shared by bloggers that helped to keep the creativity flowing.
- What type of blogging strategy works best for you?
I found that mixing up the type of posts helped to keep things fresh and interesting. I participated in the Weekly Photo Challenge, the 30 day A-Z Challenge and Wordless Wednesday in addition to my general blogging topics.
- If you could go back to the beginning, what would you do differently?
I definitely would have given more thought to the name of my blog. Originally it was just “Jeanne’s Blog”. I added nolagirlatheart later on and it really has become my blog name.
- What are you most proud of accomplishing this year?
The WordPress Challenge helped me find my voice and rekindle a passion that was smoldering under the surface. I am a writer! Even if it is only in my own mind.
- Name 3 great blogs you discovered through the challenge.
NOLA Details Carla takes me on a tour of New Orleans neighborhoods through her snapshots. She loves New Orleans as much as I do. This blog is always colorful and fun just like my beloved NOLA!
Incredible Lightness of Seeing Teresita hosts an incredibly beautiful photoblog. Her posts are always beautiful with a dose of inspiration and a sprinkling of daily gratitude. This blog is a quiet peaceful place in a world of noise and confusion.
This Man’s Journey This blog is the path of a man whose past has carried him to his present on the way to his future. He loves his family and he has a unique way of sharing the depth of love in his heart while respecting the privacy of his sweet family. I am always amazed at the thoughtfulness of his posts as well as the way he uses his photos to give us a glimpse of all that is his life.
- What surprised you about the challenge?
It was much easier to “just write” than I thought it was going to be. When my creativity waned I found inspiration in the simple everyday experiences. Especially the weekly photo challenge. It became a game for me to find ways to think outside of the box when interpreting the weekly topic.
- What advice would you give to others who want to blog regularly?
Make a commitment! Be consistent! Just write!
- What are your blogging goals for 2012?
I am hoping to figure that one out very soon. I am considering committing to 3 or 4 focused weekly segments. One being a photo from the same place, day and time of the week for 52 weeks. I am also considering a weekly post highlighting a vintage find from my junking adventures. I haven’t figured the rest of it out just yet. I am hoping to find inspiration from the same place I have found it this past year…from my blogging buddies!
That’s my look back at the Post a Day Challenge 2011…How did you do?
- Looking Back at Post a Day 2011 (zidditamana.wordpress.com)
- Looking Through Your Windows: A Year’s Past Postaday 2011 (The Incredible Lightness of Seeing)
- 2011-The Year in Blog Posts (These Days of Mine)
- Looking Back at Post a Day 2011 – How’d You Do? (dailypost.wordpress.com)
- A Year in Posting (dailypost.wordpress.com)